Monday, April 27, 2020

On Productivity

Let me just say a few words about productivity. I've been hearing a lot about it recently. There's a million tips out there for how to be productive if you're working from home right now. There seems to be a line of thinking that if you are working from home right now, you have a whole lot of free time and should also be learning a new skill or otherwise improving yourself. Then there are those of us who have about twice as much to do, now that we're working from home. And I know plenty of people who can't work from home, and many who are working even harder at their away-from-home jobs right now.

So, yeah, here's what I think about all this conversation about productivity: you do what you have to or are able to do, and I will do what I'm able to, and maybe we can quit trying to tell each other how we're supposed to be doing this thing that none of us have ever dealt with before.

Oh, and I made myself some earrings yesterday because being creative feels like a better thing than trying to be productive all the time.

I wonder what it would be like if we could talk about how to "be" more and how to "do" less. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment